Monday, October 31, 2016

#BlackLivesMatter

When the assignment was first given, I had no idea what I wanted to do, what I wanted to say, or what I wanted to create with. The thought of using alternative media and going out of my comfort zone was a bit scary. Any time I tried to think of ideas, my mind would just go blank. And then one odd evening, my mom asked me to water the houseplants and then it hit me: flowers. My alternative media would be flowers. I browsed the internet, mindlessly, looking for inspiration and different ways to incorporate flowers into art and by the end of the night, the entire piece came together.

Black lives matter has been a very prominent movement this year. Although there is a lot of politics that goes in hand with it, the main idea is to promote equality amongst race. In light of all the shootings and homicides of black people, “Black Lives Matter” became a saying to advocate that the African American community is just as important as everyone else. Beyond this, the movement became a symbol of civil rights and egalitarianism. In opposition to this movement, “All Lives Matter” was created. Some people misunderstood that Black Lives Matter meant that black people are better than everyone else and started to oppose anything and anyone who supported this movement. Through my piece, I wanted to convey that black lives do matter, not more than anyone, but as equals. The deaths of Alton Sterling, Philando Castille, and many others have affected families and communities and thousands on social media, so my piece is a cry for systemic racism to end and for people of all races to be treated equally.

I aimed to portray this through two series, in which both are made of three individual pieces. I used a variety of media, but the prominent three are flower petals which were used for hair and clothing, coffee for the skin, and metallic paint for the wording. The first series is of two guns being pointed at an anonymous black man. In this piece specifically, the flower petals really add to the meaning. Since the guns are formed with petals, it makes the weapon look delicate. But that’s the total opposite of it’s intentions. And so the juxtaposition of these ideas makes the message a lot stronger. Also, the two arms are of different skin tones, since systemic racism can come in the form of white or black police officers shooting someone. The second is of three individuals who are protesting against racism; it’s quite evident through the emotions and actions of the three individuals. Both pieces prominently show color and texture. The colorful petals make each character an individual and the texture of the flowers and the stains of the coffee add to the stylized nature of this “campaign poster” if you will.

In terms of composition, I followed the rule of thirds for the second series. Each of the three characters are towards one side of the piece. This allows for the words to be seen, but they allow the eye to move around as well. In the first series, the two arms are very strong since they are diagonal, and they lead up to the middle piece. The composition of both pieces creates a lot of movement. Craftsmanship wise, the spray mount did get onto parts of the paper without petals, so it makes the paper sticky if you touch it. That was the only part I could’ve taken more time on. Besides that, the painted coffee sections turned out really well and so did the typography. I had a lot of control throughout the process of this piece, besides the spray of course, which makes the piece look well constructed.


Overall, I think my pieces really speak an important message. Some people may still disagree, but at the end of the day I have no control over what people think. I am stepping forward with my opinions and taking a stand for I what I believe, and for that I am really proud of myself.

No comments:

Post a Comment